Chili - Citrus Chicken:
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 lime, zested and juiced
4 cloves garlic, pressed
4 small hot chillies chopped fine
1/4 cup tamari gluten free soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 shallots, minced
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. chili pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Vegetables For Kabobs:red and yellow bell peppers
baby potatoes, boiled until cooked through
Balsamic basting vinaigrette for vegetables:1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
soak bamboo skewers in water for one hour before charring
1. Using a whisk, stir together all of the chili citrus chicken ingredients (except the chicken) in a bowl. Add the chicken to the mixture and coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Using a whisk, stir together all of the lemon garlic shrimp ingredients (except the shrimp) in a bowl. Add the shrimp to the mixture and coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Cut the vegetables into slightly larger than bite sized pieces.
4. Puree balsamic basting vinaigrette ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds.
5. arrange meat and vegetable pieces onto skewers according to your own wants. (I wanted more shrimp and Ken wanted more chicken). It really works best to skewer each type of meat and veggies separately so that you can control the cooking times. Obviously chicken cooks Waaay faster than shrimp. :)
Grill the kabobs on high on the barbecue for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning 1/4 rotation every 2 to 3 minutes, or until the chicken reads 165 with your instant read thermometer inserted. (baste vegetables once each side)
serve with brown rice and chutney.
adapted from this recipe