Gluten Free Chocolate Whoopie Pies!
After seeing these treats on tv, on the Internets and on my flickr friends photo streams I simply HAD to try them. I used this recipe. I have to say, whoopie pies are delicious! I also have to say I do not recommend anyone make them ever. Sugar, vegetable shortening, marshmallow fluff! These are bad for you. I ate 2.
Whoopie Pie Recipe-
2 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xantham gum.
3. In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, shortening, and both sugars until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk to the batter and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining flour mixture and 1/2 cup milk and beat until thoroughly combined.
5. Using a spoon, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 12 minutes each or until the cakes begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. (makes about 40- 48 2 inch cookies)
1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff (or other prepared marshmallow cream, which will do in a pinch)
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the Marshmallow Fluff and the vegetable shortening, starting on low and increasing to medium speed until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes more.
2. Divide and spread on half the cookies, add another cookie and make into little sandwiches.