Friday, November 27, 2009
Orange & Saffron Chicken Tagine
adapted from a cooks illustrated recipe
You can make this in a dutch oven if you don't have a Tagine
1/4 tsp. saffron threads
5 tsp. garlic, pressed
1 1/4 tsp. paprika
3 orange zest strips (2 inches long each)- use a vegetable peeler to remove the wide strips of zest.
1 chicken, cut up, (split breasts cut in half, drumsticks, thighs)
Salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch coins
2 cups gluten free chicken broth
1/2 cup Moroccan olives
2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (juice from one orange)
1. combine the saffron, 4 tsp. of garlic and paprika in a small bowl, set aside.
2. Mince 1 strip of the orange zest and mix with the remaining pressed garlic and set aside.
3. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt & pepper. Heat oil in the Tagine (or dutch oven) over med-high heat until just smoking. Brown half the chicken on both sides, 5 to 8 minutes per side, reducing heat if necessary (cover with a splatter guard if you are using a Tagine) . Transfer chicken to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken. Transfer chicken to a plate again.
4. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp fat from the Tagine. Add onion, remaining orange zest strips and 1/4 tsp. salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened (5-7 minutes). Stir in the garlic spice mixture and cook about 30 seconds, stir in carrots and broth, scraping up any brown bits.
5. Bring the drumsticks and thigh pieces back to the Tagine & simmer. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, then add the breast and wing pieces, cover again and simmer for about 30 minutes (or until all of the chicken is cooked through, -dark meat at 170-175 and the white meat at 160-165 with an instant read thermometer)
6. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and tent loosely with foil.
7. Skim off any fat on top of the Tagine liquids, add the olives & simmer 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic/orange-zest mixture, mint & orange juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
8. Serve with brown rice.