Sunday, December 6, 2009
Kenny's Special Scram & Smashed Baked Baby Potatoes
My friend Jocelyn turned me on to these potatoes. Goodness me, they are like little potato crack bombs really. :)
Smashed Baked Baby Potatoes-
a few handfuls of new potatoes (we used Piccolo but any smallish boiling potato will do)
a generous drizzle of olive oil
course salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
fresh rosemary, chopped, to taste
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the new potatoes, boil until fork tender. While they are boiling, pre-heat the oven to 450 with the rack on the top.
2. Generously drizzle a sturdy cookie sheet with olive oil, After draining your cooked potatoes, place them on the oiled cookie sheet with space in between. Use a potato masher to gently squish the potatoes (it works best to squish each on a little, turn the masher a quarter turn and then squish them a little more). Be gentle, you want your potatoes to look about cookie shape at this point. Brush some olive oil onto the squished potatoes, add some salt and fresh ground black pepper, finish with some fresh rosemary or herb of your choice.
3. Place the cookie sheet with the squished potatoes on the top rack of your pre- heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely browned and crispy. Be prepared for fights over who gets the last one.
Kenny's Special Scram -
2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped fine
2 Tbsp. red pepper, chopped fine
large handful of fresh baby spinach chopped fine
handful of button mushrooms, sliced
Butter for frying
paprika for garnish
1. Heat a sauté pan on med/high and melt some butter into it, sauté your onions and red pepper until lightly brown, add the spinach and sauté everything until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Re-heat your sauté pan, add a generous amount of butter and sauté your mushrooms until brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the onion, spinach, red pepper, eggs, and salt/ pepper to taste. Beat with a fork until combined. Heat a med. non stick skillet over med/high heat, melt some butter in it and pour in your egg mixture. Add the mushrooms at this point. Use a heat resistant spatula to break up the egg mixture a couple of times as it cooks. Don't over stir it. You want to cook the eggs until they are "just" done and the obvious liquid is cooked.
4. Remove from heat, sprinkle some paprika over top & serve immediately. Serve with Smashed baked baby potato.