Saturday, February 5, 2011
chocolate mango inside-out roll with dipping sauce
what?! um yes. so delicious.
(makes 1 roll of 8 pieces)
For the ISO
1/2 nori sheet
200g raw sushi rice
220 ml water
30 ml rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp hazelnuts, finely chopped
50g mango, cut into strips
50g melon, cut into strips
50g strawberries, sliced into thin strips
100g plain dark chocolate, finely grated
Dipping or drizzling sauce
220g plain dark chocolate melted
to prepare the sushi rice-
1. Rinse your rice well, between 3-5 washes until it runs clear in a fine mesh sieve. Set aside and drain for 1 hour.
2. Put the rice and water into a heavy saucepan with a lid. Heat over medium/high heat and bring to a boil. Don't lift the lid. It should take about 5-7 minutes to come to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat. Don't lift lid but let rice stand for another 10 minutes.
3. While the rice is standing. Make your own sushi vinegar in a non reactive bowl with the rice vinegar/sugar and salt, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved.
4. Transfer the hot cooked rice to a flat based bowl. Use a spatula to gently spread the rice out evenly. Using the back of the spatula sprinkle the sushi vinegar over the rice. Use the spatula to cut through the rice and turn it over in sections to distribute the vinegar. Have someone else fan the rice (with a fan or a magazine) as you turn it to cool the rice quickly and it will absorb the vinegar mixture. Don't stir or mix the rice as it will get mushy. just turn it.
Directions for the inside-out rolls
1. Place the nori sheet on a chopping board and cover it with the prepared sushi rice. Turn it over and spread the honey over using the back of a spoon, then cover it with the hazelnuts, mango, melon and strawberries. Roll it up to make an inside-out roll (use a rolling mat and saran wrap to make this easier), then flip it over and roll it in the grated chocolate until coated.
note: there are hundreds of free online sushi rolling tutorials, just look for inside-out rolls.
2. Cut the roll into 8 pieces , drizzle with melted dark chocolate. Serve extra melted "dipping" chocolate along side for any chocoholics.