Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Ridiculously Easy Brown Basmati Pilaf
This is a "whatever you have in the fridge" type of recipe. It would be just as nice with broccoli and mushrooms, or cauliflower and spinach.
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 cups water
2 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup mâche (or spinach)
1/2 cup fresh pea shots
1/2 large bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1/4 cup almond slivers (or pine nuts)
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 lemon, juice of
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Combine the water and rice in a med pot. bring to boil, stir once, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
2. Bring 3 cups water to a boil, add the carrots and bring to a boil again, cook on med with lid slightly off for about 10 -15 minutes (or until the carrots are cooked but not mushy) set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over med. heat. Add slivered almonds and toss until toasted. Be careful not to let the almonds burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to the burner and heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté until nearly soft (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Stir in the bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the lemon juice, white wine and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add the cooled brown rice, carrots, mâche and pea shoots. Cook until heated through (about 2 minutes) sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve.