Saturday, February 27, 2010
Curry Coconut Shrimp with Basil & Rice Noodles
This is easy, fast and super duper yummy. Like -"Hey let's make this again tomorrow" kinda yummy. Like as in "you will spend the entire meal discussing how delicious the meal is", kinda yummy. From my favorite noodle book.
6 ounces of thin vermicelli rice noodles, softened for 15 minutes in hot water and then cooked for about 3 minutes in boiling water until just tender. Rinsed under cold water and drained.
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
500g medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1 cup fresh Thai basil, cut into thin strips (you can use regular basil as well)
2 red onions, sliced thin
1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, tough outer eaves discarded and chopped into fine pieces
1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- process all of these seasonings to a coarse powder in a blender. Set aside.
Coconut Sauce Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp sucanat
- mix these coconut sauce ingredients together and set aside.
1. Arrange your cooked and cooled rice stick noodles on a platter or serving plates.
2. Heat a heavy skillet (or a wok) over medium/high heat. Add the oil and heat for 1/2 minute. Add the seasoning coarse powder and the onions, turn down heat to med/low and stir fry for 3 minutes until onions are tender. Add the coconut sauce and cook for 3 more minutes.
3. Add the shrimp, turn up the heat to med/high and cook for about 3 minutes (until the shrimp turn pink). Add the peas and basil, toss and spoon over the rice vermicelli stick noodles. Serve immediately.