Sunday, March 7, 2010
Amazing Chicken Souvlaki
Greek Food! This is the best Tzatziki sauce in the world. I looked around and found dozens of recipes for gluten free Pita bread. All of them involved hours of prep, several types of flour, xantham gum, etc. etc. No Way! I simply wrapped my sandwich in greek grilled organic corn tortilla's. It was so delicious! You can of course, use regular Pita bread for the non GF avoiders in the family. Also, feel free to add Feta to your sandwich if you eat cheese.
1 1/2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
4 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. dried Oregano
1/2 Tsp. fresh ground black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
6 to 8 wooden grilling skewers, soaked in water.
Directions for Marinade-
1. Mix your Balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken cubes in a lidded container. Cover, shake and marinade in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. We went for 4 and it was good.
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients-
1/2 cup seeded, shredded cucumber
1 tsp. course salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. Extra Virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
mix together a spice mixture of-
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper (to taste)
1 tsp. salt (to taste)
(set some of this spice mix aside for grilling the tortillas)
Ingredients for assembling Souvlaki sandwiches-
8 small round organic corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups a romaine lettuce sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 red onion, sliced thin
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup chopped jalapeño pepper
kalamata olives for garnish
Directions for Tzatziki Sauce
1. Combine the shredded cucumber with 1 tsp. salt and let sit for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, rice vinegar and olive oil. Season with garlic, spices and fresh dill. Squeeze water out of shredded cucumber and add to sauce. Stir, season to taste again with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Directions for Souvlaki-
2. Preheat your grill on high.
3. Remove chicken from the marinade and push onto skewers. Discard the remaining marinade.
4. Cook your chicken on a lightly oiled grill about 8 minutes per side (until the internal temp reaches 165°).
5. Brush both sides of organic corn tortilla's with olive oil and season with more dried oregano, garlic salt, onion powder, white pepper/black pepper and salt mixture. Grill both sides until lightly browned.
6. Assemble sandwiches using two grilled tortillas each. Arrange chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, and jalapeño peppers on tortillas. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce, cut into halves for serving and garnish with olives.