Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Beet & Sweet Potato Roesti
1 large beet, peeled and grated (about 1 cup grated)
1 small sweet potato, grated (about 1 3/4 cup grated)
1-2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1 egg beaten
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
plain organic yogurt for topping
1. Wash, peel and grate your vegetables. TIP- wear rubber gloves when handling beets!
2. Using paper towel, squeeze as much moisture out of the beet/sweet potato mixture as you can.
3. In a medium size bowl, combine the rice flour, grated sweet potato, grated beet and salt and pepper. Stir in your beaten egg.
4. Melt your butter in a small non stick skillet on medium heat (don't be afraid to use plenty o' butter),
5. Pour your Beet/Potato mixture into the skillet and press down firmly with a wide spatula until it has formed a tight pancake in the pan. Cook until it is browned nicely on the bottom (about 5-10 minutes) (should have a bit of crispness). Use a large plate to turn out your roesti and return it back to your fry pan to cook the other side. Press down with your spatula again. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, turn down the heat if the bottom is getting to dark. The key is to get your potatoes cooked through, while have a nice crispy exterior on your roesti.
6. When it is done, remove from heat, cut into slices and serve with a dollop of fresh organic yogurt.
I have also made this with golden beets and it is lovely.