Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Roasted Squash Salad with Pomegranate Dressing, Crisp Apple & Toasted Pistachios
It has been raining for weeks, so I have been craving comforting meals. This salad has the depth of roasted Butternut squash , combined with the fresh summery tastes of apple and pomegranate juice. An ideal light meal for a cool and stormy evening.
2 cups baby spinach (washed)
2 cups butter lettuce (washed and torn into bite size pieces)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 large red apple, diced
1/2 cup toasted pistachio nuts
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt- to taste
fresh ground black pepper- to taste
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
3/4 cup 100% pomegranate juice
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp shallots, diced
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 425° and move the rack to the top position.
2. Toss your cubes of butternut squash in olive oil and place in a medium casserole so that each piece has it's own space. Sprinkle liberally with salt/pepper and red pepper flakes. Roast on top rack for 20-25 minutes. Until the squash pieces are lightly browned. Remove from oven , transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
3. While the squash is cooking you can begin making the dressing. In a small saucepan, bring your pomegranate juice, apple cider vinegar and shallots to a boil. Reduce heat to low/medium and simmer for 8-10 minutes until slightly reduced.
4. Remove pomegranate juice dressing from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add mustard to pomegranate juice dressing and whisk until combined. Add olive oil to dressing slowly, whisking continuously until it is all combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. In a large salad bowl combine your lettuce, spinach, apple and pistachios (reserve a bit of the apple and pistachio for final garnish). Add dressing and toss. Add the roasted squash, toss once, garnish with a few more pistachios and diced apple. Serve.