All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My 10 favorite Foods

Here is a list of my 10 favorite foods and why. all of which happen to be quite healthy.
Oh, and we buy organic products from local shops.

1. almond butter.

I eat a little natural almond butter everyday. usually I smear it on fruit like an apple or banana. I have found that raw nuts are not always easy for my IBS ridden system to digest, but a Tbsp. of almond butter won't cause me any problems. Rich in monounsaturated fat, almonds are a filling nutritional powerhouse. one ounce contains about 6g of protein and 3 g of fibre. plus they (almonds) are rich in calcium, phosphorous, vitamin E and magnesium.

2. avocados.

again, rich in monounsaturated fat (to help LOWER cholesterol), avocados taste delicious. They are great for your skin and hair and they have tons of fibre. 11-17g per avocado!. Potassium, folate, vitamin A, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin and more! again, so satisfying and filling that you don't feel the need to over eat. I use them in salads, with eggs, on pizza, smashed into gaucamole and all by themselves. several times per week.

3. broccoli sprouts. also pea shoots, mixed sprouts, any sprouts! I love sprouts.

Sprouts are baby plants, which means when you eat them you get all of the nutrional benifits of the mature plants condensed into each one of those little tastey morsels. Sprouts are a concentrated source of nutrition. They are full of enzymes, vitamins and amino acids. not to mention fibre!. I put them on top of everything. I eat them along with a little salt. I honestly use salad dressings only in the evening. I prefer my sprouts at lunch totally undressed.

4. prunes.

I adore prunes. officially they have changed their name to dried plums. I like Earthbound Farm's Organic premium pitted dried plums.
antioxidants, Vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, iron and of course TONS OF FIBRE.
I eat 4-6 prunes a day. yes I do.

5. eggs.

we buy organic free range eggs. I eat them poached, boiled and in the occasional omelette.
excellent source of protein, loaded with vitamins and minerals, great for hair and nails, eat with spinach for a real healthy mix that can improve your eye health.

6. carrots.

I eat them for breakfast. I eat them at lunch. raw, boiled, roasted. whatever! carrots are sweet and delicious and full of good things. Antioxidants, beta-carotene, calcium, potassium, vitamin A, fibre and more! Good for your eyes carrots will help you live longer. One of those foods that will prevent cancer. yep. good stuff.

7. berries. my favs are blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. (in that order)

since I try not to play favorites, I just eat them all together. berries are my fruit salad base. I will add, bananas, tangerines, oranges, kiwi fruit and other fruits to my berries. But berries are always the base. fruit salsa- needs berries! hot or cold cereal- needs berries!
ok so they are full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and vitamins and minerals. oh and fibre again! just eat more berries.

8. spinach. I have always loved spinach

I like it raw, wilted, stewed, in baby form, in salads, as a substitute for rice in a meat dish, by itself as a snack, in my omellete.
Vitamin K, calcium, magnesium,beta-carotene, iron, lutein. oh and it's super low cal. eat an entire bunch of it if you like.

9. wild pacific salmon.

Omega-3s! Omega-3s! oh wow. so good for you. notice- I say wild pacific salmon. Northern wild salmon (alaskan) is relatively mercury free.

10. dark chocolate

Green and Blacks 85% dark chocolate is my favorite. If like me you can't stop once you start , it's best to buy it only as an occasional treat. :)
flavonoids reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes, and excellent to lower blood pressure. Go for dark chocolate , the darker the better. the less sugar the better as well. of course.


I'll do some other lists later.
1. oils and spices
2. things I avoid and why

11 comments:

  1. YAY! I love all of the above and eat it all every day or several times a week as well! :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. well of course you do! Ms. chocolocateria! thanks for that chocolate again! it was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome. i nodded to each of those... they all form part of my favourite REAL food too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great list! i like that you specified "wild" salmon. so many people (my friends & family included) think it's the same thing but it is most definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am aren't I Carolyn. haha!
    mmmm it's salmon season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post encouraged me to try some dried plums. Now I love them. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love avocados. The other stuff, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim- you need to give new foods a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever write the foods you avoid and why post?? Would love to see that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not. but I promise to do so this week :)

    ReplyDelete