Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Thin Crust Pizza with Organic goat mozzarrella, mushrooms, olives and yellow pepper
This gluten free Pizza is great even if your not on a gluten free diet!
Jillian asked for the recipe. Ken and I had made this in the past and really thought it was great. I have been avoiding dairy for a while but I decided to go ahead and make this for a treat!
This pizza dough recipe is right on the package of Bob's Red Mill Gluten free Garbanzo & Fava Flour. we have made a few small adjustments.
1 Tbsp. gluten free- dry yeast
2/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo & Fava flour
1/2 cup Tapioca flour
2 Tbsp. Dry milk powder
2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. unflavoured gelatin
2/3 cup warm water (105° F)
1/2 tsp. sucanat
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Cider Vinegar
1 baking stone
cornmeal for dough shaping
1. preheat oven to 425° F
2. In med. bowl use regular beaters (not dough hooks), blend the yeast. flours, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt and gelatin at low speed. Add the warm water, sugar, olive oil and vinegar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. The dough will resemble soft bread dough. (if the dough is to stiff to beat, you may need to add a little water)
3.press out the dough on parchment paper into a pizza shape. use some cornmeal to keep it from sticking to your hands and the parchment. Keep the edges a bit thicker for a nice crust.
4. Bake the pizza crust on the pizza stone (and the parchment paper) for 10 minutes. remove from oven, spread your pizza sauce and toppings on top. don't overload it. it's a thin crust and doesn't need heaps of cheese etc.
5. return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned (about 10-15 minutes but watch).
Pizza Sauce Ingredients:
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1/4 onions (chopped fine)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup fresh tomatoes (pureed in the blender)
1/8 cup red wine
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 red hot chile pepper, diced
1. in a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the garlic and onion until soft and browned
add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, hot chile peppers and red wine.
2. cook on medium , stirring frequently until the sauce is slightly reduced.
we used, thinly sliced mushrooms, chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped onions, black olives and fresh goat mozzarella on our pizza. spread out your toppings thinly and don't overlap.
When you follow the directions for the pizza dough you will get a crisp, bubbly pizza crust that could easily pass for a normal flour crust. It was very successful and between 4 of us we ate 2 entire pizzas (we made a second batch of the dough).