Saturday, July 11, 2009
Coconut Quinoa Hiking Bars
I wanted to make a convenient bar to bring with me hiking. Quinoa is loaded with protein. Combined with coconut, dried fruit and nuts, this delicious square will give you energy to spare. I made this recipe to be gluten free, dairy free, cane sugar free and processed flour free. You will love it for a quick breakfast bar as well!
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
1 1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups organic shredded coconut (sulphur free)
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped fine
1/2 cup dried prunes, chopped fine
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped fine
1/4 cup almond butter, room temperature
1/3 cup agave syrup
3 Tbsp. brown rice flakes
1 Tbsp. peanut oil
1. Place the rinsed quinoa in a med saucepan and cover with the water, add salt and stir once. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook for 20 minutes undisturbed. Once cooked, remove from heat and place in a large mixing bowl to cool. Allow to cool while preheating the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, chop your nuts and fruit.
3. When the oven has reached temperature add the almond butter to the still warm quinoa and mix well. Next add the agave syrup and mix well again.
4. Add the chopped fruit and nuts to the quinoa mixture now, stir, add the oil and finally add the coconut and brown rice flakes. Mix until everything is combined.
5. Press mixture evenly into a greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown. Allow to cool before slicing into bars.