Thursday, July 2, 2009
Summer fresh radish, ruby red grapefruit and fennel salad
My mother in law brought me some tiny but delicious radishes from her garden today. so I made a very important salad to enjoy them in :)
handful of radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 jalapeno, thinly sliced
2 small ruby red grapefruits
1/4 cup fennel, very thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/2 lemon, juice of
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp. coarse salt , to taste
you will need a very sharp knife for this salad
1. On a cutting board, cut off the outer peel of the grapefruits. over top of a bowl, cut between the membrane of the grapefruit and pulp to release the fruit into a bowl. Squeeze the remaining membranes into another bowl and set juice aside.
2. If you have never used fennel- wash, remove stems, remove outer skin of it is bruised or otherwise unappealing. cut the fennel bulb in half, remove the innermost hard center part. slice very thinly when using raw.
3. Put the radishes, avocado, jalapeno, grapefruit and fennel in a ceramic mixing bowl.
4. whisk the lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. of the reserved grapefruit juice and the oil in another bowl. season dressing with salt.
5. Pour over salad and serve up on individual plates.
super fragrant and fresh!