Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Grilled Lamb Burgers with Homemade Blackberry Relish
Blackberry Relish- (adapted from this recipe)
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced.
1 lemon, zest half of the lemon, set aside and juice the lemon and set aside.
1/4 cup sucanat
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine (or natural berry juice)
2 cups fresh blackberries
1 tsp ginger, grated
pinch of salt
1. In a med size ceramic bowl, mix the apple and the lemon juice and set aside
2. In med size saucepan over medium heat combine sucanat, onion, red wine vinegar, garlic and red wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the apple and lemon juice mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add blackberries, ginger and lemon zest, simmer for 15 more minutes or until the mixture has thickened a bit. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool in fridge until serving.
1 lb. ground lamb
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
gluten free hamburger buns
1. In a large bowl combine ground lamb with diced onions, cumin, salt, pepper and olive oil.
2. mix well and shape into 4 large patties.
3. Grill on high heat for about 6 minutes per side or until cooked through.
4. Serve on gluten free buns with kale and blackberry relish and sweet potato fries on the side.