Monday, July 13, 2009
Spaghetti Squash and Savoury Dijon ground Turkey meatballs
It was a cold and rainy day and we felt like warm comfort food. This meal is very satisfying.
1 spaghetti squash
2 Tbsp. organic butter
1 Tbsp. extra virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 Tbsp. Worcester sauce
1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
1 free range egg, beaten
1/2 large onion, diced
handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 Tbsp. fresh chives chopped
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper , to taste
2 Tbsp. cold pressed organic canola oil
6 large tomatoes, processed in a blender quickly
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 shallots, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
1/2 handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 handful of fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. red wine
salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1. preheat oven to 400° F
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise and seed. Place each side face down in a large baking dish. Cover with a 1/4 inch of water. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Squash ( when done should be tender when forked)
3. Use a fork to scoop out the squash and form "spaghetti" strands.
4. Heat butter and oil in a large sauté pan over med/high heat, add garlic and fry for a minute. Add cooked squash and sauté for a few minutes, tossing occasionally.
1. In a medium size bowl, combine the turkey, Worcester sauce, Dijon mustard, beaten egg, parsley, onion, chives and dried rosemary.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium/ high heat. Form "meatballs" and drop them into the pan. turn occasionally. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until turkey meatballs are cooked through and nicely browned. Set aside on paper towels to absorb any extra oil
1. Heat a med sized pot (or sauté pan) over med/high heat and heat oil. Add garlic, shallots and chili flakes, cook for 2 minutes. Add blended tomatoes, cook for 4 minutes and add basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for another minute, add red wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Serve on sautéd spaghetti squash with a couple of turkey meatballs. Garnish with fresh basil.